Monday, October 4, 2010

Blink blink

Wow.  I feel like I'm emerging from a bit of a social tunnel, bit of an unusual place for me.  (Can't say I'm the world's most social person.)  Fortunately things all came at a point where I was very caught up with school work so it was easy just to flow with things.  And, things weren't crazy enough that workouts had to suffer.  So, other than the really crappy Eagles' loss yesterday, it was kind of a nice balancing sort of weekend.

One of the highlights was a surprise party held on Friday night.  It was for the boyfriend of a friend, although I'm sort of friends with the BF to, and have done a couple of speaking things with him (public service type stuff).  It was a good time - but perhaps the most interesting part of the night was the location, which was the house of an acquaintance.  I suspected, going in, that the house would be quite the place, and when I google earth-ed it prior to heading over, I actually wondered if they'd let me in.  We're talking gated entrance, drive with its own cul de sac, multi multi car garage, pool, tennis court, live in help... the works.  The architectural style is what I'd call quasi Italian meets nouveau riche; the interior decoration, which I'm sure was actually very tasteful and horrendously expensive, struck me as Pier 1 Imports Gone Wild, in a WTF is that, and why is it there? kind of way.

I guess my inner bitch is out this morning, because I'm going to talk smack about the hostess, too.  I've known her for a while, and my initial impression of her, and one the house only reinforced, was that there's probably no manner of plastic surgery that she hasn't met and embraced.  Now - I have absolutely NOTHING against people  having plastic surgery.  It's your body, and if it makes you happy - do it.  It's not something I look for or even notice unless I knew a person before and saw a major change.   But this woman - the changes are so NOT organic that she doesn't even look real.  Fake boobs, tummy tuck, face lift, cheek implants, and probably enough botox to drop a football team.  And trust me, if generally oblivious me notices these things, they are very noticeable.  She looks every inch the preserved rich man's wife and my overarching inclination is to feel sorry for her, especially because she really doesn't seem all that happy.

Anyway, the birthday boy WAS surprised, the company was great, the food was very good, and they had the coolest dog, a really playful bull mastiff.  (Surprising choice, I guess, for people with so much bullshit interior decoration lying around.) 

Sunday was a Special Training with the head instructor of the karate school, Sensei T.  It's taken several years but I think I've gotten to the point where I'm no longer intimidated as hell by him.  What was particularly nice about this ST is that it was just our school - usually ST's are held in one of his NY dojos, and we South Jersey people (my immediate sensei's students) are vastly outnumbered by students from his schools, not to mentioned outranked.  Because there's usually such a large spread of students at the ST's, ranking from 5th kyu (purple belt) to 6th dan (6th degree black belt), there's little specific emphasis, and while everyone gets plenty of floor time, you don't always get to work on things specifically required on your next exam.  We only have students raking to shodan (1st degree black belt) so everyone's stuff got some quality going over.  It was a fantastic opportunity.  We all went out to a late lunch/early dinner afterwards and got home in time to watch the Eagles lose ugly. 

So, back to the norm.  I have one exam this week (Psych), a psych research paper due next week, and the remainder of the skeleton to start to memorize for A&P.  Last week was the head, neck and back - I never realized you had so damned many holes in your head! - and this week is the appendicular (Norwegian for "remainder of the") skeleton. 

Workout are all boringly on schedule.  I'm thinking of changing up my weight workouts in another week or so to a sort of revolving menu of stuff from FBB.  One of the things I don't really like about making up my own workouts is that I think there is a natural tendency to include things you like and/or want to do, so even if you try to keep things honest and balanced and include shit you don't really enjoy but know you need, there's a chance you're inadvertently overlooking something.  So what I may do is use the Stage 2, 3, and 4 workouts consecutively, i.e., 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B, restart.  Since the point of this rotation is mainly to keep me in the gym and working through what amounts to the end of running season so I'm not starting my next program from ground zero, I figure there's no harm in playing around a bit; it's all good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment