Monday, October 25, 2010

All over the board Monday

I’m having that “missed the boat” feeling…  wow, sigh. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about spring semester for school what I want to do, what I need to take, etc.  And I decided (finally – hah!) that it might be in my best interest to get myself some academic advisement, preferably someone who has a clue as to what I want to do and how I need to get from here to there.  So I went poking around my alma mater’s website, and found that they have a post-baccalaureate program for career changers going into medical or dental professions…  but it’s limited to doctors and dentists.  Blah.  I did call to talk to them, and the referred me to the college’s sport science program, which I didn’t even know EXISTED when I was there, and if I did, I probably would have considered it a gut major, something for jocks who wanted to become gym teachers or something.  Yes, I was ignorant, mea culpa! I would LOVE to go back in that major now, but that’s seriously water under the bridge.  Still, it makes me sad to think that if I had been a bit more patient and thoughtful back then…. Although, who knows, really. 

Oh well.  I’ve had my moment of regret – not much I can do about this now but continue on from here.  I should have plenty of opportunity to study the same and other topics either in grad school or in continuing ed afterwards, and frankly it’s not as if I haven’t been educating myself in some capacity along the way as it is.  So I’ll see what, if anything, that program office can do to help me at this point, and if they can’t, I’ll start calling the grad schools, although to me that seems to be working the process backwards, not forward.

Segue.  When I was in college, I had a good friend named Dan.  Dan was a physics major, and a total physics enthusiast.  He in fact talked my best friend at the time (a writing major, as was I at the time) and I into taking physics and calculus.  He and I also used to play guitars until all hours in the stairwells of the dorm; we screwed around with all sorts of funky scales and got an appreciation for how math intermixes with music.  I tend to think about him a lot this time of year because one of his favorite sayings was, “It’s always darkest just before it goes completely black.”  Which is about how I feel this time of year, when there practically isn’t any morning sunlight to speak of.   And by morning, I mean before 7 am. – I think civil twilight is right around then right now, meaning, of course, one who runs at a normal-ish, morning-person-hour runs in the dark at least part, if not all the way.  Being one of said people, I love, love, love the day we set the clocks back to normal time and I get the morning light back, at least for a while.  Used to be they’d have been set back by now, but unfortunately that won’t happen for nearly two more dark weeks.

All of which is a very long way of saying, I’ve decided that next week, when it’s darkest, I’m going to cut myself a little slack and have an overdue running cutback week, knocking a mile or two off each run.  That will leave me with two hard and one easier week before the race, a decent final push, I think. 

So far, I’m liking the new weight workouts.  The FBB workout I did on Friday was good, different and satisfyingly challenging, and I’m looking forward to doing its “B” counterpart on Wednesday.  Today was Give Legs a Break day, so I did the Precision Nutrition workout a go, and have to say, it was a bit of a Fail.  The exercises themselves weren’t bad; in fact the thing felt pretty well put together for what it was (upper body, multi-plane push/pull), but it took me just over half an hour for the whole thing, including five minutes of rowing, which was the recommended warm-up.  When I was done, both my legs and core felt neglected in a “where’s the REST of the workout?” manner, something I totally hadn’t anticipated, so I added on a couple of things (overhead squats, Roman chair squats because they amuse me, and some killer reverse abs/core on the tiltly board thing) to round out the session.  I like the base workout enough to keep it, and next time I’ll know to have a plan to finish it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment