Saturday, September 4, 2010

Ugh. Shopping.

I finally did it - I killed my blender.  Crapolita.   I am a fairly frequent protein shake flier, usually having one a day after my hardest workout of the day because I do believe in post workout refuelling and I really can't face solid food when I'm hot and sweaty.  Dunno why, but I've always been like that so I go with what works.  (I'm even more fussy about eating before a workout.  It's all about avoiding nausea, but it's a PITA.)  I like my shakes fairly thick - approaching Wendy's Frostee thick - so the milk/pp to frozen fruit ratio tends to favor that outcome, which can be hard on a table top blender's engine.  I used the Magic Bullet for a while, but the teeth in the base broke off.  Tried a fairly cheap smoothie maker, and that worked fairly well - until the jar cracked.  Finally invested in a "real" blender, a Cuisinart, and the thin lasted me - eh, I'm guessing three years?  Which probably isn't bad, all things considered, and given the price (I think I spent about $60). 

Poor thing had a really hard time of things this morning.  Even using the ice crush feature, it had a hard time breaking things down, and when I went into regular blend mode... the noise was not good.  After about a minute smoke started coming out of the base, which I also figured was Not Good, so I unplugged the thing and enjoyed a chunkier than usual shake.  The base "works," in that the motor turns, but it sounds ill, and I doubt it could crush an overripe tomato.  Soooo, I need a new blender.  I'd love to buy a fancy Vita-Mix or Blendtec, but for upwards of $400, that's not in the cards right now.  I'm probably going to wind up with a Kitchenaid model for less than a quarter of that, so here's hoping their blenders are even half as good as their stand mixers.

Also coming out of the budget, all of a sudden - for whatever reason, I decided to try on my jeans yesterday.  Holy flaming shit, they don't even nearly fit.  I don't think I weigh that much less than when I bought them, but I guess I've done some serious body restructuring because I SWIM in them - they would look stupid even with a belt, and that is by my decidedly questionable fashion standards.  So, shit.  Now I need jeans, and what's worse I need to refigure out my size.  Which means, I can't just order online, and let the jeans appear at my door, as is my preferred way to shop.

Crap.

1 comment:

  1. Unexpected purchases that aren't even fun. Ugh! Hate that.

    But I love "crapolita." The actual crapolita, but the word. :)

    ReplyDelete