Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The speed hack strikes again

Over the past week or so, I've been doing a lot of "lasts" in prep for the half.  Last Wednesday was my last 1/4 mile repeats, Thursday - last run/lift double, Saturday - last pace run, Sunday - last long run, etc.  Today was my last tempo run.  As I've mentioned before, I have utterly no sense of pace, and now that the weather is cooler, runs feel about 8 zillion times easier, and I've been running a bit faster.  It's one of those things I figured would happen when the weather cooled off, but even knowing that, after a summer of slower than I really expected running, I was beginning to wonder if I hadn't lost a step somewhere along the line. 

Well, maybe not.  I put what felt like a normal effort into my tempo run this morning, and finished in what for me was a relatively blistering pace (low 8 minute miles).  So that was kinda cool.  Also had a great karate class last night; got to spar with sensei for the first time in a while, and I could tell he was having fun.  We really got on a roll there.  Also had a good session with sensei J this morning.  Nice when things are going on all cylinders!

I'm still a bit up in the air about Insanity.  I've told sensei I'm not committing to doing the whole program; the timing is just wrong.  But, I AM free to take any of the classes any time, so I might just do it when/if I feel like it and catch a full rotation some other time, when it's scheduled more to my taste.  I really do want to give it a go, but this just isn't the way I personally would care to do it.  So my plan for now is to take a recovery-ish week after the race, go easy until I feel antsy (which may only take a couple of days, but whatever), and in that time sort of figure out how I want to prep for the trail race.  I'm thinking 1) hills and 2) offroad, and since my offroad/trail runs around here are pretty much flat, I might have to find someplace else to do a few runs.  I'd like to do weights 2 - 3 times a week, and I'll probably continue with the FBB workouts with a few minor mods (sub in harder ab work - swiss ball crunches? srsly? - sub back hypers for cobra, make the giant sets, super sets, because they'd otherwise be too hard to set up at my gym).  I have to think some on how much running I think I'll need/want and decide from there how many weight workouts.  Not something I'm going to do today.

Had my first test yesterday, in Psych.  Think I did pretty well!  And now I have to bolt.  Maybe more later, maybe not!

1 comment:

  1. There's a lot of interesting commentary around Insanity on the boards right now, if you are paying any attention to them at all. I was doing the rotation as written but I've since switched to a CLX rotation with Insanity worked in as my cardio. Maybe it's just me, because I am a desk jockey for the most part, but it feels a little more balanced.

    I'll be interested to hear what you decide to do and how that works out. People do report back that it does wonders for endurance.

    ReplyDelete