Saturday, September 18, 2010

Half Eve

This time tomorrow - OK, let's be honest, I'll be watching football.

The race is close and starts at 8 am, so I should be done, back, showered and fed before the Igs (qb'd, as I feared, by Mr. Vick) kick off.  Went into the city yesterday to pick up my gear and had to practically RUN out of the expo - there was a lot of good stuff there and I could have dropped a couple of hunderd $ in a heartbeat.  I especially coveted a bright yellow vest/windbreaker that would be PERFECT for early morning runs, now that it's darker (& cooler) in the morning...  It was hard to rein back from that one!

Anyway I have my number and some kind of new timing device that looks a bit like the twist tie from a large, plastic trash bag.  (For those who have never run a 10,000 plus entrant race: you are timed by a small transmitter that you wear, usually attached to your shoe, that picks up your signal electronically when you cross mats placed at the start and finish lines, and sometimes at various points in between.  That way, you get your exact race time, also called your chip time, as opposed official race start time vs. your finish time.  This is helpful because, obviously, not everyone can start at the start line at the same time.  They used to give you something called a Champion Chip, which was reusable but had to be removed and turned in at the finish line, which created traffic jams that nobody really appreciated.)  The only think I'm not 100% certain about right now is how I'm getting there.  I had originally planned to drive, but as it turns out I'd have to park at one of the pay garages in center city, which means I'd have to leave VERY early to have a chance to get in a garage near the event, for which I'd probably pay out the ass.  If I didn't get in a close garage, I could have an even further walk than I would from the subway station, so I'm thinking it might be best to cut my losses.

Anyway, the weather looks as if it should be near-perfect, high 50's to around 60 at start time, upper 60's when we're done.  I have no thoughts now as to how I'll run the race, i.e., press for time or not.  I've been feeling out of sorts for the past few days, I presume from the mini-taper; hopefully that will translate into good energy available for tomorrow. 

School stuff:  Got an A on my psych test, actually a perfect score.  (Woo!)  Not a bad way to start the semester.  BUT, I have three tests this coming week; an A&P lab practical, an A&P exam, and another psych test.  So, it may take me a few days to post a race report.   And - I really had better go study now.

No comments:

Post a Comment