Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What is it about spring

That brings looneys into my life?   Last year, it was the now nearly forgotten Drama Girl; this year, it's the currently MIA Presentation Partner. 

PP is in my abnormal psych class.  She was also in my basic psych class last semester, which is essentially how she became my PP.  Backing up a bit, both last semester in basic and this semester in abnormal, we have had to do presentations for the class on some disorder or other.  I'm not sure exactly why they have to be partnered presentations, but they do.  Last semester I just stumbled into my partner and things worked out really well.  I'd have been happy to work with her again, but she's not in my class.  In fact, I hardly knew anyone in the class when we were forced to pick partners and declare our topics, which made me pretty uneasy.  My mindset was, I was happy to work with anyone, assuming their goal was the same mine: to get an A on the project.  However, not knowing anyone made it hard to figure who might share my agenda.  PP, whom I hadn't even noticed was in the class, saw me and proposed we work together.  I didn't recall her, really, from basic, but I didn't recall her totally f-ing up her presentation in that class, so I thought, why not? 

Well, long story short - PP's work ethic is, shall we say - lacking.  She avoided the issue of meeting up to work on the presentation until the final weekend (this, after assuring me she didn't want to be scrambling to finish things last minute); then it became one excuse after another for not keeping appointments/having things done.  (Meanwhile, I'm sending her drafts for my sections of the presentation, my research, etc.)  Sister in the hospital.  Has to bring sister home from the hospital.  Parents away.  Can we just email, or do we have to meet?  Blah blah blah.  All of this done via text, which while I realize essentially equals conversation for early 20 somethings these days is also very easy to hide behind.   Finally I insisted we meet, two days before everything is due.  I am basically done at that point, minus some last minute polishing.  She has barely begun. 

More bullshit that is scarcely worth getting into ensues over the next 48 hours, but the thing does get turned in on time, barely.  I am at this point wondering if I have done enough to pull our grade to at least a B.  (I can live with a B on this - I aced my solo project and have A's on all the tests so far.)  We are supposed to be prepared to present the day we hand everything in, but as it happens, we don't go until a week later.  On that day, PP informs me that she may have trouble speaking because her wisdom teeth hurt.  Uh huh.  She did fine, however, as did I; I figure it's over, we lived, I'm done with her.  She misses the next couple of classes - why, I don't know or care - then texts me last night to see if we have a test today, and what it's on.  She's been out because her sister was in a car accident.  Uh HUH.  I tell her yes, we have a test.  She texts back, do I think she'll be OK if she just studies the book?  I text back in so many words, how the fuck do I know?  I don't know specifically what's on the test, nor how well she studies.

She skips class, and therefore the test.  (Prof gives no make up tests for any reason, although she will drop your lowest grade test - she gives 8 a semester - so presumably you can miss/completely fuck one up without penalty, but that's a card I wouldn't play unless it was a huge emergency.)

Anyway, part of me wants to call and see if anything is seriously wrong with this girl.  The pattern of excuses/lies, procrastination, absences, job loss, and this general aura she carries makes me wonder if there's a bigger picture thing going on here.  On the one hand, I feel as if I should be a good fellow student and see if she's OK, and OTOH, that I should mind my own business.  MYOB is currently winning, but that may be subject to change.

On to more interesting stuff.  I did finish NROL/Abs, Phase 1 last week, and started Phase 2 yesterday.  I am really, truly liking this program, and I have to say it's the first book program I've done in a long time that I can see myself doing again in short order.  Usually, I'm happy to go on to the next thing, but there's enough flexibility in this program - enough options and progressions - that I can see doing it again without getting bored.  Which is a lovely thing. 

The trail race is this Saturday, so I'm taking it a little bit easy this week.  I haven't decided which I'm going to do yet, but I'll either run easy tomorrow and lift Thursday, or vice versa, then take it easy on Friday.  Sunday is a planned DOR and presumably a good time to reflect on how the race goes, in terms of how the hip feels.  It has its good and its bad days; generally "bad" equals tightness and not pain, but I don't think tightness is a good thing.  What is good is that it doesn't hurt when I run - although that is also BAD, because it makes me feel like running is OK.  LOL.  I'm a mess.  Hope springs eternal that this race will make it clear to me whether I should push on or rein back; realistically, I suspect it will reveal nothing of the kind and I'll have to sort this out for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment