Monday, February 7, 2011

Quickie

Of late it seems that whenever I have the desire to write something here, I either don't have the time or am nowhere near a computer, and when I don't, well, I don't.  Heh. Anyway, I figure something's better than a while lot of nothing, so:

I'm entering the last stage of my hypertrophy rotation.  The workouts have been hard, and probably have been taking me longer than they should to complete them.   They'd probably go faster overall if I were able to do more supersetting, but it hasn't been as simple as I'd like to set that up every time out.  However, otherwise, I'm frankly enjoying putting in the work, and will probably miss these longer, more challenging workouts when I switch to four day split mode (which I'll still do on a three day a week schedule) next.   That will be around the beginning of March - after this stage and a week's worth of takin git a bit easy - and the overall plan will be to switch into a more run oriented mode, and decreasing the load of the weight workouts.  I want to add hill or step (i.e., stair climber or stadium steps) on one of the weight days, and maybe a short interval run on the other.   I'll also switch from hypertrophy to more general fitness mode with the weights, which basically just means a different rep scheme. 

In terms of what I've seen so far in this phase - I've gained maybe a pound, pound and a half, and with that sort of change I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to whether it's fat, muscle, water, or some combination thereof.  One of these days, I promise, promise, promise myself I WILL do a true hypertrophy rotation, meaning I'll do the weight work and lay off the cardio.  Of course, theoretically, I was going to do something like that this winter, but wanted to keep running....  geez.  I'm wondering if maybe getting an ultra or two out of my system will calm the running bug to the point where I'll be able to stand cutting back enough to see what I can see in the weight room.

Heh, and THEN I talk myself out of that, because - hell, I enjoy running, and I'll probably wind up just going back to it and working off whatever measurable mass I would manage to add.  Oh well; that arguement's a long way off, I think.  I keep getting flyers for races and wanting to add things to my schedule, so for the foreseeable future, it'll be a matter of keeping a working balance between road, gym, and dojo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment