Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ice. Lovely.

People are calling the rather impressive storm that seems to be affecting a large chunk of the country the Blizzard of 2011.  As a huge fan of snow, I'm displeased that most of what we're getting out of this will be rain.  Oh yay.  Rain in January.  Puhleeze. 

But this morning, and probably tomorrow morning as well, we have to contend with ice.  This morning was a real gem, too; I set out to walk to the train for school and my most fervent wish was that I would get to the station without landing on my ass.  (I did.)  When I got to the city my next most fervent wish would be that I'd get to the campus - which as it turned out was an OASIS of salted sidewalk - without landing on my ass.  And that, apparently, was the warm-up act for tomorrow morning. 

Needless to say it was a no-run day, as expected.  I did get the bike dusted off, and pumped up the tires, changed out the pedals (I am now clipless), and installed a bike computer, and did my first ride since, I believe, my last tri, a virgin Spinerval called Suffer-O-Rama.  It's an interval workout that, with warm-up and cool-down, clocks in at a little under an hour.  It seemed a little tedious at first but once you got rolling it was challenging enough that one was too busy breathing hard to be bored.  Beat the crap out of trying to get a workout out of a floor or step cardio DVD, too.  I have a couple of other Spinerval DVDs that I've picked up here and there, and I think between them I should have a nice alternative for days when running seems unwise.  A very, very good thing!

I'm restarting the workout calendar sidebar; hopefully I'll manage to keep it somewhat up to date this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment