Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's Official

I've entered the Philadelphia Distance Run. I know I've been talking about it and throwing schedules around, but talking is one thing and filling out that entry form is another. And now, it's all official-like.

The training plans haven't changed. I'm still planning to follow Hal Higdon's Intermediate half marathon training schedule, and I'm still planning on doing a bastardized form (shortened cycles) of the NROL fat loss program for strength training, although I'll probably eyeball that one again when it gets closer to the time. I should finish NROL/W during the first week of official half training, and I might want to take a week off from weights at that point, so as things project now I have until around July 4 to make the call.

So I've done my change as planned for this week, and added my 2 mile run on Monday. That was kind of fun, actually. I worked in some baby speed play (fartlek) (yes, that's really what it's called), and will probably do that in future as well. Had a really good run yesterday, too, despite kind of pukey weather - 50's and a heavy mist that turned to rain. Sounds kind of crappy but I'll take it over a warm, humid day any time. Which is what I expect to have tomorrow. Weird-ass weather we're having, but I guess that's May for ya.

Today I hopped over to the back half of Stage 6 of NR. Finished the written workout (minus warm-up) in about a half an hour. I have to say, this is a really strange Stage, and I'm not used to getting done so quickly. I'm sort of at odds now, with energy to burn, but I have my glute activation stuff left to do (was pressed for time and didn't get to do it before my workout) and then I'll probably go for a walk or something. I am really liking this stuff, as I think I've mentioned before. I don't see a difference so much in my lifting, but dang, do I see it in karate, and I'm assuming it will come into play when I get to doing a bit more formal speed training over the summer. (In fact, some of the later glute exercises are actually sprints.)

No comments:

Post a Comment